Our holiday cottage and holiday apartment in Aberporth are set at the top of a hill that leads to the smaller Dolwen beach (approx 400 metres away), on a quiet no-through lane.
The pretty coastal village of Aberporth is set on the stunning Cardigan Bay coastline in West Wales. It was once a bustling fishing port, but is now a small & friendly coastal village. The local fisherman, Sean still goes out daily for catches of crab & lobster.
This beautiful seaside village is the ideal spot for family holidays, walking holidays or quality time away as a couple.
Aberporth has two sandy beaches with the smaller seaside award winning
beach manned by the RNLI during the Summer, so ideal for families with children. The beaches are nice & sheltered and the sea is great for paddling, swimming and sea kayaking. During low tide you can go rock pooling ~ great fun all year round.
From May to September you can also hire sea kayaks from the local beach side cafe.
The Cardigan Bay coastline has the largest population of dolphins
in Europe & you can quite often see them close to the shore in the Spring & Summer months from Aberporth and along the lovely coastal walk to the neighbouring village of Tresaith.
There is a great pub called The Ship Inn
within walking distance of Coastal Cottage & Apartment ~ this serves great pub grub & good, local drinks.
There are all of your typical village shops ~ a chippy, cafes, a chinese takeaway, village convenience shop, pharmacy, post office, gallery, launderette & hairdressers in the village. Every Tuesday from 8.45am until midday there is a county market
in the village hall selling local crafts, fruit and veg, cakes and preserves.
The coastal path
runs through Aberporth & has a really easy & accessible stretch that takes you to the neighbouring village of Tresaith (with another beach & pub!). For those wanting to walk further afield, you can walk for miles along the stunning coastline & then come back to Aberporth using the coastal path bus service, Cardi Bach
The nearest town to Aberporth is Cardigan
, just a 10 minute drive away. It's a really lovely market town on the River Teifi. Here you will find a castle, a vibrant high street full of independent shops, bakers, butchers, cafes and also Aldi & Tesco supermarkets.
Other nearby beaches & villages
has more Blue Flag
beaches per mile than anywhere else in the UK, many along the Cardigan Bay coastline.
From Aberporth you can visit so many of these beautiful beaches & villages including Penbryn, Llangrannog & Mwnt ~ these are all within a 20 minute drive & have access to the Ceredigion Coastal Path
- Tresaith~ a walk along the accessible coastal path from Aberporth or 5 minutes drive. Has a great pub.
- Penbryn ~ a National Trust beach, 10 minutes drive away. With the Plwmp Tart cafe & woodland walk.
- Llangrannog ~ another beautiful beach, 15 minutes drive away. Has two pubs & cafes.
- Cwmtydu ~ a pretty little cove, 20 minutes drive away.
- Mwnt ~ A National Trust beach with a beautiful, white church. 15 minutes drive.
- Poppit ~ A large, open beach with sand dunes, 20 minute drive away. Also has a cafe.
The picturesque harbour town of New Quay
is around a 20 minute drive away. New Quay is very similar to a Cornish fishing village with it's quayside, boats & beaches. From here you can try out some sea based watersports or take a boat trip with Sea Mor
to spot the Cardigan Bay bottlenose dolphins (seasonal). It's the perfect spot to eat fish & chips and an icecream
is a pretty harbour town, famous for it's colourful Georgian houses and is full of independent shops & places to eat. A great day out & can be combined with a visit to the nearby National Trust estate, Llanachaeron.
Please click on the links for more information as some events may require you to buy tickets in advance
- Cardigan Bay Seafood Festival, Aberaeron ~ 7th July 2019
- Ultimate Tribute to ABBA, Cardigan Castle ~ 12th July 2019
- KT Tunstall, Cardigan Castle ~ 13th July 2019
- Feast Street Food Market, Aberaeron ~ 12th July 2019
- Summer Parti Haf, Pizza Tipi Cardigan ~ 19th July 2019
- Street Food Festival, Aberystwyth ~ 19th-21st July 2019
- Tom Collins Band, The Ship Aberporth ~20th July 2019
- Back Trax live music, The Ship Aberporth ~20th July 2019
- Aberporth Summer Fete, Aberporth ~ 20th July 2019
- Billy Bragg, Cardigan Castle ~ 24th July 2019
- The Magic of Mowtown, Cardigan Castle ~ 26th July 2019
- Huw Stephens DJ & Charlotte Church, Cardigan Castle ~ 27th July 2019
- Illyria: Frankenstein, Cardigan Castle ~ 31st July 2019
- Ceredigion Craft Makers, Llanerchaeron ~ 31st July - 6th August 2019
- Cardigan County Show, Cardigan ~ 3rd August 2019
- Memphis Belle live music, The Ship Aberporth ~ 3rd August 2019
- Tresaith Regatta, Tresaith ~ 3rd & 4th August 2019
- New Quay Music Festival, New Quay ~ 2nd-4th August 2019
- The Greatest Showman Outdoor Cinema, Cardigan Castle ~ 7th August 2019
- Shakespeare in the Abbey, St Dogmaels ~ 7th-10th August 2019
- Aberaeron Beer & Cider Festival, Aberaeron ~ 9th & 10th August 2019
- Cwtrisans live music, The Ship Aberporth, 10th August 2019
- Cardigan Carnival, Cardigan ~ 10th August 2019
- Festival of Welsh Ponies & Cobs, Aberaeron ~ 11th August 2019
- Sea2Shore Food Festival, Aberystwyth ~ 11th August 2019
- Illyria: The Tempest, Cardigan Castle ~ 14th August 2019
- Cardigan River & Food Festival, Cardigan ~ 17th August 2019
- Cilgerran Festival Week, Cilgerran ~ 16th-25th August 2019
- Cardigan Bay Regatta, New Quay ~ 22nd-24th August 2019
- AberJazz & Blues Festival, Fishguard ~ 22nd-26th August 2019
- The Big Tribute Festival, Aberystwyth ~ 23rd-25th August 2019
- Illyria : Ali Baba & The Forty Thieves, Cardigan Castle ~ 23rd August 2019
- Sun Dogs live music, The Ship Aberporth ~ 24th August 2019
- Bohemian Rhapsody Outdoor Cinema, Cardigan Castle ~ 24th August 2019
- UK F18 Catamaran Nationals, Tresaith ~ 24th-26th August 2019
- Elvis Desley live music, The Ship Aberporth, 25th August 2019
- Feast Street Food Market, Aberaeron ~ 25th August 2019
- Cardigan Quays Festival, Pizza Tipi Cardigan ~ 24th/25th August 2019
- Aberaeron Carnival, Aberaeron ~ 26th August 2019
- Apple Festival, Llanachaeron, 6th October 2019
- Halloween Party, Pizza Tipi Cardigan ~ 1st November 2019
Days Out & Attractions
We have plenty of leaflets for local attractions in Coastal Apartment & Coastal Cottage, but here are some of our favourites within an hours drive away. Please check with each location for opening times & driving distances.
You can pick-up more leaflets in the shop at Cardigan Castle.
- Ceredigion Coastal Path
- Llanachaeron National Trust Estate, Near Aberaeron
- Felinwynt cafe & playbarn
- Urdd Llangrannog, dry ski slope & activity centre
- Pot Sian, Caerwedros ~ pottery studio
- Sculpture Heaven, Rhydlewis
- Cardigan Castle, Cardigan
- Theatre Mwldan & Cinema, Cardigan
- The Welsh Wildlife Centre, Cilgerran
- Stiwdio 3, workshops for children & adults at Cardigan
- Heritage Canoe Trips, Cilgerran
- Dolphin spotting boat trips with Sea Mor, New Quay, or A Bay to Remember, Gwbert
- Cardigan Golf Club, Gwbert
- Teifi Mania Indoor Soft Play, Cardigan
- Cardigan Island Farm Park, Gwbert
- Castell Henllys Iron Age Fort, Newport
- Cardigan Bay Watersports, New Quay
- Epic Fishing Trips, New Quay
- New Quay Honey Farm, New Quay
- Cardigan Bay Marine Wildlife Centre, Newquay
- Celtic Quest Coasteering
- Cenarth Falls, Cenarth
- Dyfed Shire Horse Farm, Eglwyswrw
- Newport, lovely coastal town down the coast
- Preseli Hills & Mountains, Pembrokeshire
- Folly Farm, Kilgetty
- Oakwood, Canaston
- National Woollen Museum, Drefach Felindre
- Teifi Valley Railway, Newcastle Emlyn
- Gwili Steam Railway, Bronwydd Arms
- St Davids with it's beautiful Cathedral
- Tenby, a gorgeous harbour town in Pembrokeshire
- Dinosuar Park, Tenby
Places to eat.
There are plenty of great places to eat whilst you're out & about exploring local villages and towns. Here are some of our recommendations. Some places will have seasonal opening, or may be closed over the Winter months so please double-check with them directly before making a special journey.
- The Ship Inn, Aberporth. This will be your local & is open all year round, serving good pub grub.
- The Boy Ashore, Aberporth. Great outdoor restaurant on the path by the 'big beach'. Perfect spot to unwind. Booking
- Caffi'r Sgadan, the chippy next to the pub in Aberporth
- Golden Dragon Chinese Takeaway, Aberporth
- Y Morlan restaurant & bar, Aberporth
- Water's Edge Cafe, Aberporth. This is the cafe nearset the 'small' beach in Aberporth.
- Cwtch Glamordy, Aberporth. Beach hut style cafe overlooking the 'big' beach.
- Felinwynt cafe & playbarn, Felinwynt. Cafe with soft play area.
- Pizzatipi, Cardigan. Serves the best wood-fired pizzas in an idyllic location on Cardigan's Quayside.
- Abdul's Indian Restaurant & takeaway, Cardigan, Our favourite Indian. If you're eating-in, take your own alcohol as they only serve soft drinks.
- Crwst Bakery & Cafe, Cardigan
- Crowe's Vegan Food, Cardigan
- Bara Menyn Bakehouse, Cardigan,
- El Salsa Mexican street food restaurant, Cardigan
- 1176 Restaurant, Cardigan Castle
- Stiwdio 3 Cafe, Cardigan
- The Flat Rock Restaurant & bar meals, Gwbert
- The Ship Inn Pub, Tresaith. You can walk the coastal path to this Brain's pub with wonderful sunset views.
- Pentre Arms Pub, Llangrannog. An award winning pub in this coastal village
- The Beach Hut Cafe, Llangrannog.
- The Plwmp Tart Cafe, Penbryn
- Pepper Pot Bar & Grill, New Quay
- Lime Crab Chip Shop, New Quay
- The Hive, Aberaeron
- The Harbourmaster, Aberaeron
Walking holiday ~ hiking holiday ~ family holiday ~ Welsh holiday ~ beach holiday ~ holiday in Wales
holiday cottage in Wales ~ holiday cottage in West Wales